Monday, May 30, 2011

Sorrento, Positano, and Pompeii ITALY

Sorrento, Positano, and Pompeii ITALY:









This is what i always pictured Italy to look like in the movies.. this is by far the most beautiful of all the places we visited. There were orange trees and lemon trees, old homes on the hill, yachts on the beach, old men playing chess on the streets, shops every where, mountains. I think pictures do not do this place justice. It was magical.








SORRENTO

















Sorrento was the first stop- I won't soon forget the Gelato I had here, it was the best. The view was breathtaking.

















We got out of the car to do some shopping in Sorrento.































I loved the market, the produce looks so good. Sorrento is knows for their lemons in particular. The city literally smelled like a lemon everywhere you went.

















This was beneath us, I wonder if anyone ever lived there?






POSITANO


























We had reservation to eat at the top of the mountain in Positano... If you look at the road built to the side of the mountain that is what we drove up... so if the road goes, so do you I guess. It was very narrow and people drive crazy...but when we got to the top... AMAZING!

























The view from our table








Trattoria La Tagliata was the restaurant we ate at: I just couldn't believe the view







I posted some of the food we ate on a lower post... being here was so crazy. It was just the nicest place I have ever been in my life. I loved every second of this part of the trip..it was so different from Rome,but just as special to me at least.







POMPEII






This city in Pompeii was barried for years in rock and ash because of a volcano (Mount Vesuvius) the city existed back around 100 BC and was not even rediscovered until the 1700s.. they were even able to preserve some of the body's by putting them in some kind of mold...so you can see how some of these people actually looked when they died in the Volcano... Kind of sad and creepy... can you imagine a whole city barried? Glad I don't live near a volcano...




















































































































































































































No comments: